Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Excerpt from " From December to December - The Journey of a Lifetime"


I know you are watching….I miss you a lot.



What is this life, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
                                                      -     William Henry Davies

1
My eyes open, just about. Its dark around me – I feel dizzy…and weak.  I try to get up, but can barely move.  Don’t feel any strength at all.  My head feels like a ton of steel.  I slip back into unconsciousness.
My eyes open again; I don’t know how much time has elapsed since I was last conscious.  Or is it just my eye?  It’s still dark all around me.  I gag as soon as I realize a big instrument has been shoved down my throat.  I also struggle to open my right eye.  My immediate reaction is it has been removed.  I panic, and start getting restless on the bed.  I suddenly hear loud beeps emanating from a machine nearby.  I realize it’s a heart monitor – connected to my heart.  A woman appears from the shadows by my side, and tells me – “it’s ok Mr Trivedi, you are fine, nothing to worry about.  Please stay calm.”  I can’t see her, but I can just about hear her.  She holds me tightly on both my arms and slowly releases me as I settle down from the initial paranoia.  She presses some buttons on the monitor, and the beeping stops.  I am still in shock over the loss of my eye.  A feeling of morbid helplessness and acute frustration - those emotions are to become my bed buddies for the coming months; creeps over me.  I try to scream but can barely manage a weak grunt.  I gag again.  My mouth does not open.  Slowly I calm myself down.  I begin to take in my surroundings.  I realize I am on a hospital bed, and seem to be in the ICU.  I can hear some nurses murmuring nearby.  All of a sudden I am paralyzed with fear. A fortnight ago I was, like any normal person leading a normal life and looking forward to the great things life had in store for me.  Now it was all a cold, dark and frightening night.  And it had just begun….

4 comments:

  1. Appreciate your strength. God bless you and Neeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandrashekhar Patil6 April 2013 at 01:49

    Salute you fighter for your end at darkness & beginning with full of light.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shudder to even imagine what this phase would have been like...i am hoping you complete writing this book fast...i strongly feel it will be a source of strength and hope to people facing such dark times. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Aashish, Its hard to imagine the ordeal you went thru. But God is great and he has given you that strength to fight back. Bravo my friend. All the best on your book. Will look forward for it.

    ReplyDelete